Bride and Groom - beach weddingMore and more couples are now planning destination weddings – perhaps jetting off to the sun for that dream beach wedding or having a winter themed wedding high up in the mountains.

Organising a wedding abroad is somewhat more complicated than organising a wedding in the UK though.  Whilst there are plenty of local wedding planners who can help you plan the day and ensure it runs smoothly, there are still plenty of things that can go wrong. Language difficulties may mean communication with suppliers is trickier, and certainly sorting out any problems will be more difficult than it would be back home.

Do You Need Wedding Insurance If Marrying Abroad?

If you’re having your wedding abroad, wedding insurance is perhaps then even more important.  Most of the major suppliers of UK wedding insurance will cover you for weddings abroad, the same as they would for weddings in the UK. You’ll be covered for major things such as cancellation or rearrangement due to illness right through to smaller issues such as damage to hired attire.

There are a number of wedding insurance providers in the UK, including big high street names. Our wedding insurance comparison table lists a number of popular providers and provides a quick summary of the cover provided by each policy.

InsurerUp down arrow Cancellation CoverUp down arrow PriceUp down arrow ExcessUp down arrow Link
3 Star
£10,000 £79.00 £35 Visit Insurer »

Please see the full comparison table for all levels of cover available from these insurers.

Travel Insurance

Just like it doesn’t cover your honeymoon, wedding insurance won’t cover the travel aspects of your wedding abroad either. You’ll need separate travel insurance for that.

Many of the major UK insurance companies, as well as smaller ones, can provide adequate travel insurance cover.  Take a look at our page on honeymoon insurance or perhaps use one of the comparison sites such as to quickly get a range of quotes from a number of insurers.

Travel Insurance and EHIC

If you’re having your wedding abroad you should also still take out a good travel/honeymoon insurance policy.  Wedding insurance will cover you should anything go wrong with the wedding itself, but you’ll still need travel insurance to cover medical and travel related issues whilst you’re away.  If you’re travelling within Europe, you should apply for a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) as this entitles you to some free medical treatment abroad.  Remember, the EHIC is no substitute for travel insurance though.

Having a wedding abroad is incredibly exciting and something that both yourselves and your guests will remember fondly for many years to come. Do think about taking out adequate insurance though, both wedding and travel, otherwise your dream day may end up costing far more than you initially budgeted for.  Don’t forget to read the policies carefully too to make sure they meet your specific requirements.