Red Wine SpillAn increasing number of venues are now insisting that couples take out some form of public liability insurance themselves. Public liability insurance covers situations such as:

  • Damage to the wedding venue, for example a guest spilling red wine over an expensive carpet or rug
  • A guest getting injured, perhaps having slipped on a wet floor
  • Negligence by one of your guests, for example if a guest spills hot coffee over another guest

Fortunately though, public liability cover can easily be purchased as part of a wedding insurance package. Some wedding insurance providers include public liability cover as a standard feature of their policies, whereas other insurers will add cover for just a small additional premium, usually around the £20 mark.

InsurerUp down arrow Cancellation CoverUp down arrow PriceUp down arrow ExcessUp down arrow Link
3 Star
£10,000 £79.00 £35 Visit Insurer »
Tier 2
£10,000 £80.00 £0 Visit Insurer »
Tier 3
£15,000 £100.00 £0 Visit Insurer »

Please see the full comparison table for all levels of cover available from these insurers.

Public Liability vs Personal Liability

Most wedding insurance policies include cover for personal liability as standard. This offers similar protection to public liability, but usually only covers the Bride and Groom. Public liability extends this cover to those invited to the wedding or reception.

As with all insurance products, you should always read the small print carefully to check specifically what the policy does and doesn’t include.

Whether you’re looking for personal liability cover or public liability, wedding insurance is a great way of providing financial peace of mind for your special day. There are a number of companies that provide wedding insurance in the UK and many of them are listed on our comparison table. You can see at a glance the products that they offer and can order them by premium and amount of cancellation cover provided.