Bride and Groom walking down steps at their wedding in Italy

Wedding insurance can help ensure your dream wedding abroad doesn't cost more than you'd intended.

Wedding Insurance for Weddings Abroad

Get a Wedding Insurance Quote »

More and more couples are now planning destination weddings - perhaps jetting off to the sun for that dream beach wedding, a winter themed wedding in the snow or a hillside villa in the Italian countryside.

Organising a wedding abroad is somewhat more complicated than organising a wedding in the UK though. Whilst there are plenty of local wedding planners who can help you plan the day and ensure it runs smoothly, there are still plenty of things that can go wrong.

Wedding Insurance and Marrying Abroad

If you're having your wedding abroad, wedding insurance is perhaps then even more important. Like weddings held in the UK, you'll want to be covered for major things such as cancellation or rearrangement due to illness, right through to smaller issues such as damage to hired attire or issues with essential documents.

There are a number of wedding insurance providers in the UK, but not all offer cover for weddings held outside of the UK. Check FAQs and policy documents carefully to make sure the cover being offered is right for you and that your chosen insurer will provide cover for your destination wedding.

Wedinsure covers weddings held overseas and in the UK. Optional policy extension available for travel related events including:

  •  Missed UK Departure
  •  Abandonment
  •  Strikes

Continue to Insurer »

With premiums from £55, Dreamsaver Wedding Insurance provides cover for weddings abroad and in the UK.

Continue to Insurer »
Youg couple at the airport with their luggage.

Covering things like cancellations, lost luggage and unforeseen medical expenses while you're away, you'll want a good travel insurance policy to cover your wedding abroad.

Don't Forget Your Travel Insurance Too

Whilst wedding insurance takes care of potential ceremony and reception disasters, it won't fully cover your honeymoon or other travel aspects of your wedding abroad. You'll need a separate travel insurance policy for that.

Covering things like unforeseen medical expenses while you're away, delays, cancellations or even lost baggage, travel insurance sits well alongside your wedding insurance policy.

Many of the major UK insurance companies, as well as smaller ones, can provide adequate travel insurance cover. Comparison sites can help you quickly compare a range of quotes from a number of leading travel insurance companies.

Chairs set out for a wedding abroad in Italy


If you're having your wedding abroad you should also still take out a good travel insurance policy. Wedding insurance will cover you should anything go wrong with the wedding itself, but you'll still need travel insurance to cover medical and travel related issues whilst you're away.

If you're travelling within Europe, you should apply for a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) as this entitles you to some free medical treatment abroad. Remember, the EHIC is no substitute for travel insurance though.

Update: Since the UK left the European Union (Brexit), EHIC cards are slowly being phased out. They will be replaced by a GHIC card but if you already have an EHIC card, it will still be valid until the expiry date on the card.

Having a wedding abroad is incredibly exciting and something that both yourselves and your guests will remember fondly for many years to come. Do think about taking out adequate insurance though, both wedding and travel, otherwise your dream day may end up costing far more than you initially budgeted for. Don't forget to read the policies carefully too to make sure they meet your specific requirements.

Get a Wedding Insurance Quote » is a trading name of Leyton Solutions Limited.

Registered in England and Wales, Company number 7022117. Registered address: 86-90 Paul Street, London, EC2A 4NE.

Leyton Solutions Limited is an Introducer Appointed Representative of Emerald Life Limited, Insuremore Ltd, UK Oasis Group Ltd and Voyager Insurance Services Ltd who are all authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Leyton Solutions Limited is also an Introducer Appointed Representative of Blue Insurance Limited who is authorised by the Central Bank of Ireland and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority for UK business.

Home | Blog | Sitemap | Privacy Policy | Contact